Boost Your Energy: Conscious Breathing
Did you know that your inhale-exhale breathing cycle happens on average 720-960 times an hour, more than 17,000 times a day without you even thinking about it?
There are certain things we need every day that we consciously think about, like food and water. In fact, survival experts talk about the “Rule of Threes.” You can make it 3 weeks without food, but you probably won’t be any fun to be around. After 3 days, you need water or you’ll perish. In a harsh environment (think East Coast minus degree temperatures this past winter!), you have 3 hours to survive without shelter. And, finally, you can only live 3 minutes without air, though please don’t attempt this at home.
Those ‘rules’ give us a big clue to what our bodies need – not just to survive – but to thrive.
Breathing is the #1 form of nourishment.
Clearly our breath is critical to sustaining our life. But how many times do you find yourself holding your breath, gasping, sighing, or breathing shallow?
Conscious breathing or slow, gentle, relaxed breathing is the basic breath that recharges and relaxes our body, emotions, and mind. Becoming aware of and training yourself to breathe in this way is good to do when:
- You want to re-energize or relax your mind and body.
- You want to be centered within yourself before you move out into your day and activities.
- You are in a tense situation with highly-charged feelings and you need to stay calm.
- You need to balance your masculine and feminine energy.
- You want to reconnect to your natural rhythm.
Breathe in. Breathe out.
It sounds simple enough. Still, I hope these ‘how to’ steps will help you consciously pay attention to the power your breath has to give you an energy boost, create a stable and calm state of mind, revitalize your body for more health, and keep you connected to life.
- Consciously connect to your breath. Notice it as you breathe in and out.
- Now, begin to breathe slowly and gently in through your nose and out through your nose. The inhale is energizing, the exhale is relaxing. In = energizing. Out = relaxing.
- As you inhale, let your ribs and belly expand all the way to the top of your chest. Imagine your inhale bringing fresh new energy into your mind and body.
- As you exhale, relax your chest, ribs and gently pull your belly inward and upward. Image your breath releasing and letting go of old stagnant energy in your mind and body.
- Continue this gentle breathing until it flows easily and naturally, and you feel calm, relaxed, and re-energized.
Got energy? Want some?
Subscribe and get instant access to an energy modality that lifts your frequency.
How did you do with Conscious Breathing? What did you notice changed after you connected to your breath? Share below!
Simply resonating with you breathing with ease,